Areas of Specialisation
Foreign investment and establishment
in New Zealand
Corporate and Commercial Advice
Commercial Lending & Security
Jeremy's legal experience is in three principal areas - corporate/commercial, financing and securities. He has acted for banks, finance companies, major corporates and local authorities and has participated in many cross-border financing, securities and investment-related transactions. His experience also extends to the energy sector where he has been involved, among other transactions, in the negotiation of a number of energy supply agreements. Jeremy joined Dawson Harford in August 2012 after more than 25 years of partnership in two other well-known New Zealand law firms.
Chambers Asia Pacific Guides 2012-2014 name Jeremy as a leading lawyer in banking and finance. The Guide for 2012 says clients describe Jeremy as "highly skilled and very experienced." The Guide for 2014 describes Jeremy as a “[s]easoned practitioner”.
Major Projects include:
- Advising NZICA on certain due diligence and other issues relating to its amalgamation with the Institute of Chartered Accountants Australia to form Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand.
- Acting, as New Zealand counsel, on the acquisition by offshore entities of interests in New Zealand companies, including in a registered bank, a cable manufacturer, a surety company, a software company and a company designing and marketing roof carrying systems.
- Acting on the acquisition and sale by New Zealand entities of interests in New Zealand companies, including in the electricity and financial services sectors, and on the amalgamation of certain New Zealand entities, including two New Zealand registered banks and various subsidiaries of a New Zealand insurer.
- Acting on a wide range of other commercial transactions, including for:
- a leading New Zealand energy group on the gas, steam and electricity supply agreements for two co-generation plants
- a foreign bank on its joint venture arrangements with a New Zealand supermarkets group relating to the establishment of a new registered bank
- an independent Australian petrol distributor on its proposed establishment in New Zealand (joint venture arrangements, proposed terminal and distribution arrangements etc.)
- a leading US insurer on its establishment (and later cessation of business) in New Zealand
- a Crown company on its trust deed for the prudential supervision of its personal injury by accident business under the Accident Insurance Act 1998
- a local authority on its establishment of various council controlled organisations for funding, development and other purposes.
- From time to time, providing:
- advice to foreign entities on investment and establishment in New Zealand (including in the insurance, financial services and banking sectors)
- general commercial and corporate advice to New Zealand entities (including on directors' duties, statutory and regulatory compliance, financial reporting etc.).
- Acting for:
- New Zealand registered banks on various business banking and other facilities provided to New Zealand entities and on cross-border transactions including a leveraged lease
- various foreign banks on facilities provided to, or guaranteed by, New Zealand entities and for various New Zealand entities on facilities provided to, or guaranteed by, them
- Acting on a wide range of other financing transactions, including for:
- New Zealand’s then leading electricity generator on its domestic and foreign debt securities programmes, two insubstance defeasances of its indebtedness and the economic apportionment of its indebtedness among three state enterprises
- the New Zealand subsidiary of a leading international motor vehicle financier on all aspects of its funding and financing activities
- a leading New Zealand motor vehicle financier on its advances facility and its motor vehicle and other asset leases and loan contracts
- a leading New Zealand insurance company on its transactional banking arrangements and various advances and other facilities
- a US equipment manufacturer on the proposed securitisation by it and its subsidiaries of certain trade receivables using a New Zealand incorporated special purpose vehicle
- a local authority on a NZ$125 million structured financing and its rollover, the NZ$530 million financing of a council controlled organisation, and various related local government and other issues
- several local authorities on their respective participations in a significant guarantee and indemnity arrangement
- a European-based payment service provider on the New Zealand regulatory environment applicable to credit card transactions
- several New Zealand corporate trustees on their respective participations in various securitisation structures.
- Acting, as New Zealand counsel, on certain equity transactions, including for:
- the underwriters in relation to the offer documents for the initial public offering of shares in a leading telecommunications company and a registered bank (including due diligence enquiries)
- the Australian government on the offers of shares in an Australian bank to the public, and by way of private placement, in New Zealand.
- Acting, at different times, for certain New Zealand issuers on their ongoing offers of debt securities to the public in New Zealand including for four registered banks and several finance companies.
- Acting on numerous occasions for leading foreign law firms, fund managers and other entities on the application of New Zealand's securities and other laws to offers of securities in New Zealand in the context of takeovers, reconstructions, public offers, private placements, employee share purchase and option schemes and electronically through the internet.