Areas of Specialisation
Alan is a commercial property and banking and finance specialist with extensive experience gained over 30 years acting on a wide range of transactions for corporate, banking and financing entities.
Alan has for over 25 years also been the principal legal adviser to the New Zealand subsidiary of a major international manufacturer and franchise distributor of motor vehicles.
Commercial Property Experience
Alan's expertise and experience in commercial property includes:
- advising on commercial and legal risks, and statutory and regulatory frameworks, controls and requirements affecting acquisition, development, ownership, leasing and sale of property
- advising on all aspects of development projects and preparation of documentation specific to the factual circumstances and intended commercial objective
- advising on and preparation of documentation for property sales processes including:
- information memoranda
- tendering processes
- terms for sales by tender
- terms for sales by auction
- due diligence procedure
- acquisitions of commercial, retail and industrial properties and complexes including due diligence investigations
- drafting complex documentation designed to achieve intended commercial objectives, including for:
- sales and acquisitions
- presale agreements on development projects
- agreements to lease
- leases and leasing arrangements
- lease incentive agreements
- naming and signage rights
- special easement arrangements
- special land convenant arrangements
- joint venture arrangements
- license and use rights
- rights of first refusal
- confidentiality agreements
- advising on and establishing ownership structures
- providing opinions on legal issues
Alan has advised a wide range of corporate clients, include acting as the prime legal advisor to one of New Zealand's leading banks including in relation to:
- all major development projects and property transactions undertaken by the bank for over 20 years
- providing opinions and advising on legal issues and disputes affecting property and lease rights
- preparation of a range of precedents including for design/build/lease development projects, lease agreements and leases designed to cater for commercial objectives
Alan has published several articles in New Zealand's leading specialist property publications and presented seminars to corporate clients on the scope, effects and implementation of legislation and changes to laws affecting property and property rights, obligations and risks.
Banking and Finance Experience
Alan has acted for and advised both lenders and borrowers on a wide range of funding transactions and is a member of the legal panels for one of New Zealand's leading banks.
Alan has extensive specialist knowledge and experience in financing of development projects and property investment transactions and related security and risk management arrangements.
As a property development and funding specialist acting for banks and finance companies, Alan has:
- prepared specialist banking and finance precedents including for:
- security documentation
- development funding documentation
- investment funding documentation
- priority arrangements
- advised on and acted on numerous property funding transactions
- undertaking investigations and reporting on risks and compliance with legal requirements
Alan has also acted for and advised a range of corporate borrower clients on a wide range of banking and security transactions and arrangements.